Friday, July 30, 2010

Carrie Underwood: What I've Learned

I was so nervous when I was on my way to L. A. I'd never been on a plane, and I was going alone. I kind of got teary-eyed. My dad was driving, and he said, "If you want to go home, we can go home, and you never have to think about this again." And I thought, If I don't go, I'm choosing for this not to happen. It will be my choice. So I figured it would be easier for me to get kicked off American Idol than to have it be my own decision.
I've learned the most throughout my life from age twenty-two till now.
As you step off that stage, you're pretty much alone.
My cell phone is my best friend. It's my lifeline to the outside world.
There's no handbook.
People can take your words and make them into something awful and something you never meant it to be.
It's hard to find normal celebrities.
It's hard to find people who don't want something from you.
Atlanta? Tough town. It's hard to get people to show up for anything. What do people do there?
I know what I like to listen to on the radio. I know what I like to sing along to in the car. So any time I heard a song for the first album, I'd put it in the context of, Okay, would I turn the channel? Would I listen to this whole song or would I skip to the next one? It was really important to me because all I knew was how to be a consumer. I didn't know how to be an artist.
After I released "Jesus, Take the Wheel," people started saying, Oh, it's kind of risky. You're coming out with a religious song. And I was thinking, Really? I grew up in Oklahoma, I always had a close relationship with God. I never thought it was risky in the least. If anything, I thought it was the safest thing I could do.
I remember when I first started headlining, thinking, They paid money. I remember being young and saving up my allowance to see an Alan Jackson concert. And I was like, these kids are saving their allowance.
I've seen people that get onstage and sing while they have tears running down their face — I can't do that. When I cry, it starts like in my throat, so when I have something that's really emotional, sometimes if I access that too much, I can't finish the song.
Singing is just a feeling set to music.
If you don't mean it, they're going to know you don't mean it.
Same thing if you're feeling happy. You know, it just enhances everything you're going through. Hearing it put to music makes you realize someone else is going through it, too.
"Baby's Got Her Blue Jeans On" was my anthem as a child. It was about me. I was Baby.
A guy can come in and have a big beer belly and he doesn't have to be anything but himself, whereas women have to wear the heels. We're probably missing out on a lot of wonderful talent.
Simon's obviously very smart. But he's not the smartest person I know.
When people think of what it's like to be famous, they think of the Ritz. But I've been in hotels where I will not take my shoes off. I will wear flip-flops in the shower. I've seen more basements of venues than I've seen of the United States. People think, Oh, you travel around, you get to see the country. I've seen basements, I've seen concrete, I've seen pillars.
Being on the Idol tour — I'd never been onstage like that before. I'd sung at Okrafest, where ten people were listening.
Americans don't need Carrie Underwood telling them who to vote for. They're smarter than that.
Nobody's going to tell me that my dog doesn't love me. That's crazy talk.
Don't buy a puppy because it's cute.
I can't watch animal movies. I watched Beverly Hills Chihuahua and sobbed, because of all the dogfighting stuff they had in there. This little Chihuahua gets stuck in a Mexican dogfighting ring, and it's supposed to be funny, but oh no, it's not. Because I know that stuff is true.
Is "Cowboy Casanova" about the quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys? No. I would never immortalize a guy that did me wrong. I would never give him that much credit.Read more:

(http://www.esquire.com/features/what-ive-learned/new-carrie-underwood-interview-0110#ixzz0vDmdyZUf)

No comments:

Post a Comment